The Saint Joseph’s Hospital is a Pioneer Mission Hospital in South India. It is a non-profit voluntary organization administered by the “Society of Jesus, Mary Joseph”. It was established as a dispensary in 1904 with the arrival of J.M.J. Sisters from Holland.
Impressed by the selfless and dedicated services rendered by the Sisters, the then Matron of the Government General Hospital requisitioned the services of our sister Nurses. Our Sisters rose to the occasion and were competent to the task assigned to the utmost satisfaction of the authorities and patients as well as the public. The transformation they brought about in the hospital bore witness to the ideal of Christian love.
The arrival of Dr. Sr.. Mary Glowery, and Australian Missionary was a landmark in the annals of the hospital. Her comforting demeanor and indefatigable service drew many sick people to the dispensary. As their number grew, the need for a hospital became inevitable. The foundation for the hospital was laid on 13th June 1924 to cater the medical needs of the people, specially women and children.
Ideally located in the heart of the City, the St. Joseph’s Hospital is easily accessible, it serves patients not only from Guntur but from the neighboring districts too. “when one man dreams, it remains a dream. When many dream together it becomes a reality”. Due to the vision and mission of many committed professionals and the quality of the services rendered, the hospital has grown in size as well as popularity and has been expanded many times over a long period of a hundred years of existence. The hospital presently has a bed strength of 250 and is equipped with the latest hi-tech precision instruments.
Critical Care Unit : It is a 15 bedded state-of-the art Emergency Medical Unit with facilities for providing multi-parameter heamo-dynamic monitoring and total ventilator support for the critically ill patients.
The St. Joseph’s Hospital is a beacon of hope, affordable to many, while it keeps abreast with the latest break through in medicine.