history

St. Joseph’s General Hospital is a non-profit voluntary organization, a registered society, entirely owned and operated by the sisters of the Society of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, Guntur Province, with its head quarters at Netherlands on those days and now in Rome. The seven JMJ Dutch missionaries from Holland arrived in Guntur on 24th February 1904 and opened a small dispensary. Later Dr. Sr. Mary Glowrey, a missionary from Australia, laid foundation for St. Joseph’s Hospital, Guntur in the year 1924 with three beds, which had developed steadily into a 250 bed hospital. St. Joseph’s Hospital is one of the first Catholic Mission Hospital in South India.

In 1904 a small dispensary was setup to cater to the health needs of the sick and suffering in present premises of ST. Joseph’s Hospital, Guntur.